The Floor is Lava: Strategy Guide
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you get through the game. I’ve also listed how to get all the achievements. Click on a part you’re interested in or just keep scrolling to view everything in the order listed.
The blocks on which you stand appear in a set pattern and consist of a certain number of horizontal tiles, providing a lot of space for you to stand on. Upon appearing, each block will only stay on screen for 2 seconds. As time goes on, that pattern changes and the number of tiles dwindle. Here are all patterns and at what time they will be set in place as well as the number of tiles that will make them up:
Tiles (easy/medium): 8
Tiles (hard): 8
Tiles (easy/medium): 7
Tiles (hard): 6
Tiles (easy/medium): 6
Tiles (hard): 5
Tiles (easy/medium): 5
Tiles (hard): 4
Tiles (easy/medium): 4
Tiles (hard): 3
Tiles (easy/medium): 3
Tiles (hard): 2
Tiles (easy/medium): 2
Tiles (hard): 2
Flies across the screen in a wave formation. The player can ride this creature, although it’s a bit bumpy. It can be sprayed with water to stun it for 1 second and make it fall a short ways. This is useful if it is blocking a jump onto a block.
Occasionally falls down from the sky wherever the player is standing. There is nothing the player can do about it other than avoid it.
This creature will shoot up from the lava below only to slowly fall back down. On its way, however, it will shoot the occasional fireball out of its mouth. When hit by a fireball, the player will be stunned for 1 second. It is a deadly foe, but the player can protect himself by extinguishing the fireballs with water or spraying the dragon to stun it for 1 second.
1. Survive for 30 seconds
2. Survive for 60 seconds
3. Survive for 2:30 minutes
4. Complete the game (survive for 3:00 minutes)
5. Survive for 5:00 minutes
6. Spray 5 bats with the water cannon
7. Spray 50 bats with the water cannon
8. Ride a bat
9. Spray a dragon with the water cannon
10. Ride a dragon
11. Extinguish 3 fireballs
12. Extinguish 20 fireballs
13. Get hit by a fireball
14. Die 10 times
15. Die 50 times
Tips and Tricks
- The gauge for how much water is in the cannon is shown in the top right corner. Use water wisely. The water level fills over time, but if the player dies, it will be reset to zero.
- After standing on a block, the player is allowed to jump even if the block goes away or the player runs off the edge. This is useful in case you are caught off-guard when the block disappears or if you need to make a long jump.
- The player can ride on top of bats and dragons even when they’re stunned. However, if a dragon is not stunned and shooting fireballs, the player will be stunned if standing on the dragon.
- If a rock hits the player when standing still on a block, it has a 50% chance of dragging the player through the block into the lava-y depths below.
- Dragons shoot more fireballs faster as time progresses. Try and save as much water as you can for later in the game, especially if you are trying to survive longer than 3 minutes.
- All achievements register on all difficulties. If you are having trouble getting an achievement on medium or hard, give it a try on easy.
- If you start a new game, only your checkpoint will be reset. You will still keep all achievements you have earned.